Stuart Stacey collection. Copy of early Market Hill photo.
Market Hill northwards as seen from East Park Street. A dog sits in centre of road fascinated by the photographers antics.
Interesting that 2 men stand outside No2 shop on the left bearing the name ‘Bedford’. This was known on later photos as Dai Timothy confectioners but the 1901 census lists a ‘Lizzie Bedford (confectioner)’ around this location which would date this photo.
Dr Nix house stands to the right and this was demolished for road widening in 1954.
In Stuart’s day, pre scanners & Photoshop etc., the only way to repeat a photo without having the negative was the use of drawing pins and a close-up lens on another camera as used here.
These are the most popular keywords used on the site.
View all the keywords used in this catalogue.