Lancaster Bomber Oleo Strut

Comments about this page

  • The following is in addition to the information already logged.

    The Lancaster was a Mk 1,number ED 715, powered by Rolls Royce Merlin engines.
    On returning from their mission the aircraft was diverted to RAF Honily then onto RAF High Ercall, with fuel running out the aircraft was taken up to 7500ft and the crew bailed out.

    This additional information has been kindly supplied by the Fenland Aviation Museum.

    By Bill Haggata (28/09/2016)
  • There are two pistons and con rods from a Lancaster that crashed near New Road in Chatteris Museum. Also, a machine gun that was fitted to an aircraft, possibly the same one.

    By Ian Mason (28/07/2016)
  • The Lancaster was part of 156 Squadron, based at RAF Warboys.
    156 Squadron was at RAF Warboys from August 1942- March 1944.
    On the 4th of May 1943, 18 aircraft set out on a mission to Dortmund, on return due to weather conditions, they were diverted to other airfields around the country.
    Weather conditions and lack of fuel according to information caused S/L and the crew to bale out.
    F/lt Rogers and Sgt Drysdale were injured on landing, F/lt Langband crew missing.

    By Bill Haggata (06/03/2014)

Add a comment about this page

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Main categories
Search by date