Grove House - Stairwell
This photo shows the staircase with continuous curving balustrade and wood detailing. The staircase continues up to the 3rd floor but due to the 3.2m high ceilings this is the equivalent of 4-5 storeys in a modern building.
The house has two staircases. This is the main one which would have been used by the owners of the house and their guests. There is a second, much tighter and steeper ,staircase which is hidden in the old ‘servants’ section of the house and would have allowed the serving staff to move from what was the kitchens and the coal cellar up to the two main bedrooms in the house without entering the main hallway and being seen by the guests.
This feature is one of a number of period details that still remain within Grove House. Grove House is a prominent Georgian grade ii listed building situated at No. 74, Chatteris High Street. Built in 1818 it remained in use as a family house up until around 1945 when it was given to the Chatteris town council. The house was used as offices, the home of the Chatteris museum and also as a Sure Start children’s centre for a number of years. It was later sold to Isle college for use as an adult education institution. In 2012, following planning permission being granted, it was sold by Isle College for the purposes of once again being used as a single residential home.
These are the most popular keywords used on the site.
View all the keywords used in this catalogue.