Grove House - Row of Lime Trees
These pictures relate to the Pollarding of the row of Lime Trees in the garden of Grove House, No.74 High Street, Chatteris.
Grove House stood empty for a number of years with minimal maintenance work being undertaken. As a result the trees in the garden became overgrown. In 2012 works started to restore and convert the building.
The before picture shows around 10 years of growth on the trees. The after picture shows the row after being taken back to the pollarding points.
Pollarding is a very traditional process and adds to the overall landscape of the walled garden and building at this address. Lime trees were often used for pollarding and further examples can be seen in the church gardens of St Peter and St Paul’s in Chatteris. In the following year the lime trees will regrown branches all the way down the trunks creating what we think is best described as a ‘shaggy-looking-pillar’. As a side effect of the pollarding the leaves grow back much larger with all the growth efforts of the tree going into the few leaves it has. Some of the leaves have been seen close to the size of a dinner plate in the year following pollarding.
For heritage conservation reasons these trees were placed under a tree protection order in 2012.
This feature is one of a number of period details that still remain within Grove House. Grove House is a prominent Georgian grade ii listed building situated at No. 74, Chatteris High Street. Built in 1818 it remained in use as a family house up until around 1945 when it was given to the Chatteris town council. The house was used as offices, the home of the Chatteris museum and also as a Sure Start children’s centre for a number of years. It was later sold to Isle college for use as an adult education institution. In 2012, following planning permission being granted, it was sold by Isle College for the purposes of once again being used as a single residential home.
These are the most popular keywords used on the site.
View all the keywords used in this catalogue.