Grove House - Ornate Coving Repairs
These pictures show works to repair the ornate plaster coving in Grove House. The plaster work was undertaken by a local craftsman based in Doddington.
Grove House was original built in a very traditional rectangular design and with 2 storeys in the year 1818. However in approx. 1885 the owner decided to extend the rear of the building out by a further 1.5m to the north east and to also jack the roof and add in a third storey. Over time these extensions have caused slight cracking where the join between the old external wall and new extension met. In addition the original oak beam over the french windows that can be seen in this room was slowly sagging after 100 year bearing the additional weight of the 3rd floor. Therefore works were undertaken to add steel plates to either side of the beam, with bolts through it to create in effect a new steel I-beam, which encased the original oak one. Reinforcements were also made to the join between the original building and extension. Once these strengthening works were complete the plaster work was once again restored, using traditional lime plaster and methods, as can be seen in this picture.
This feature is one of a number of period details that still remain within Grove House. Grove House is a prominent Georgian grade ii listed building situated at No. 74, Chatteris High Street. Built in 1818 it remained in use as a family house up until around 1945 when it was given to the Chatteris town council. The house was used as offices, the home of the Chatteris museum and also as a Sure Start children’s centre for a number of years. It was later sold to Isle college for use as an adult education institution. In 2012, following planning permission being granted, it was sold by Isle College for the purposes of once again being used as a single residential home.
These are the most popular keywords used on the site.
View all the keywords used in this catalogue.