Grove House - Extractor Vent
This photo is of a cast iron bell vent. A series of these can now been seen on the rear elevation of Grove House. In 2012 the house was given planning permission to convert back to use as a single residence after many years in commercial use. The conversion therefore required a number of new building regulations to be met including water extraction to the outside for all kitchens, bathrooms and WCs. Something that hadn’t been needed in the past. As a listed building the use of a inexpensive plastic vents was prohibited for conservation reasons and would have looked out of place on such a grand building. The picture here shows the cast iron vents that were therefore used as a solution. The vents fit in very well with the look of the original building and used traditional materials and methods (cast iron) showing that there are modern solutions that can fit well with the traditional techniques and materials.
Grove House is a prominent Georgian grade ii listed building situated oat No. 74, Chatteris High Street. Built in 1818 it remained in use as a family house up until around 1945 when it was given to the Chatteris town council. The house was used as offices, the home of the Chatteris museum and also as a Sure Start children’s centre for a number of years. It was later sold to Isle college for use as an adult education institution. In 2012 following planning permission it was sold by Isle College for the purposes of once again being used as a single residential home.
These are the most popular keywords used on the site.
View all the keywords used in this catalogue.