Sketch of how Chatteris Abbey may have looked. Supplied by Ian mason Curator Chatteris Museum. Artist unknown.
The text around the sketch reads as follows:
” The abbey was originally founded in 98,probably with wooden buildings. After the fire of 1310 the rebuilding was in stone. The inventory of 1538 tells us what buildings there were, and makes possible this reconstructed view.
In the farm there was a granary, barn, cattle shed, and piggery. The abbey held 11 nuns with 25 servants either in the house or on the farm. When the abbey was pulled down the guest house was left standing as a private residence until 1847.
The kitchen garden was, in the 19th century, an allotment owned by John Wright “The gardener”. His son Robert emigrated to America and they left the Parish Church the money which ensured its restoration in 1910″
These are the most popular keywords used on the site.
View all the keywords used in this catalogue.